Sunday, September 13, 2015

U.S.A., Land of Limitations by Nicholas Kristoff


Kristoff's perspective on the United States being a land of limitations was very interesting. I can understand his point of view when it comes to children's ability to progress. I have personally been able to meet people who have the opportunity but due to poverty, non-monetary and monetary, do not make it, due to the upheld standards. Many people do have the opportunities to progress but there are unplanned situations that become a barrier for these people. I know of someone who had planned on continuing their education.  But due to family situations, they could not continue to go to school. Throughout most of their education they had to be independent and make sure they prospered on their own. Even though they wanted to make school their priority there were other situations they needed to handle before accomplishing this goal.

           
 Although I can agree with Kristoff’s perspective, I do believe that in some aspects this country is the land of opportunity. When I visited Guatemala I was able to be appreciative for what I had.  There were houses that I saw that were practically falling apart. But if they were to come to the United States, even if it was the poorest area in town, they would feel accomplished. But living in that specific area and being of a certain class may become a limitation. Even if we work hard, we might not get to the top percentage because limitations do exist. And when we hear that some people made it, it becomes known. Why? Because those people we are hearing about are the few that actually broke this class barrier and sometimes even race barrier.  

I have attached a link to an article that discusses the working poor and their struggle. 

2 comments:

  1. Jackie, I love the fact that you brought the other aspects of poverty into your blog. Many of us focus mainly on the monetary value but you have brought up the family and personal reasons some are unable to attend or be successful in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good use of the hyperlink! Looking forward to talking more about this!

    ReplyDelete